Friday, March 20, 2009

Noruz ~ Spring Equinox

I was introduced to Noruz by my mother-in-law who was born in Iran. I have been celebrating the Persian New Year - Noruz - for over 20 years now with my husband's family. I have come to love it and have adopted & adapted it to my own aesthetic.

The traditional altar set for Noruz must include seven things that start with the letter "S". For my altar, I use some items that start with the "S" sound in Farci, and some items that start with "S" in english...

Here are my seven S's:
Sebze - sprouted lentils
Serkeh - vinegar
Seer - garlic
Saffron - used often in Persian cooking
Sumac - a spice used in Persian cooking
Salt - my addition
Seeds - my addition

The altar always includes some spring flowers such as hyacinth, tulips or jonquils. I like to add a bowl of eggs as well.


It makes perfect sense to me to welcome a new year with the beginning of spring.

Aidee shomo mobarack!

No comments: